Thursday, June 14, 2007

Go native, plant yourself a Common Fetterbush. .

Native to the southeast, often found growing near streams and at the woodland's edge is - .
It grows around 3 feet tall and has pink flowers and is evergreen. Make sure though, it gets plenty of water.

I had one in my meadow garden that I planted this spring. It has been very dry here
in central Alabama. About 10 days ago we had 1/4" rain. So I didn't water it for 2
days. The 3rd day I think I watered it. On the 5th day after rain, I noticed that it
looked as if it was dying. I pulled it up and the soil was extremely dry. So I put
it in a pot and put it in my plant hospital, so it gets plenty of water and a close
eye. Hopefully, it will recover. If it lives, this fall I plan to put it near my
other plants, which like it wet, namely Hydrangeas, Virginia Sweetspire, and Clethra
'Hummingbird".

No comments: