Thursday, May 31, 2007

Where are the nice tropical storms when you desperately need them?

Just found out that you shouldn't give your butter beans too much water. If you do
they put all their production into leaf making. With less water you get more beans.
That's nice to hear with all this drought in the southeast. Like many Floridians,
I am praying for a nice tropical storm with a great deal of rain, but little wind.
After all there was even fire in Lake Okeechobee. And where water is usually on the
slim side, like in East Texas, there is gobs and gobs of it.
In our neck of the woods, I hope there aren't boxwoods and camellias planted in
antebellum days biting the dust. Or for that matter - any. Last year there were
old oaks, pines, and hardwoods giving up the ghost. With Pines, the drought weakened
many, which the pine beetles were all to glad to pounce upon. If they don't stop
attacking my pines, I don't know what I will do for pine straw.
My crookneck squash aren't coming up. Hope I didn't plant too deep. Will have to
get busy and plant some more. In a vegetable garden, my dear little portager, there
is never any ending to the work. Such is life in the
.

No comments: