Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Nursery As Art Form

I wonder who started the Nursery as art form? When I studied Ornamental Horticulture in
the late 60's and early 70's and began woking in a nursery in South Florida, nurseries were
drab places. I never once saw one with display gardens. In fact, I never saw a nursery with
display gardens untill January 2004, when I first saw Petals from the Past in Jemison, Alabama.
The owners of Petals studied under the famous rosarian, Bill Welch in Texas, and both man
and wife were familiar with the Antique Rose Emporium.
I had seen pictures of the display gardens of the Antique Rose Emporium in Texas and
Suburban Atlanta in books, and also in their catalogue. Also I had seen pictures of Nancy
Godwin's nursery in North Carolina, Plants Delight Nursery and Woodlanders in South
Carolina. Hopefully once day I will visit more of the nurseries having display gardens.
It makes for such a pleasant experience, especially when they have lovely
for
displayed among their
and styled garden.

I'm quite curious of who started this trend and when? Anyone out there who knows
the answer, please respond.

No comments: